Tuesday 21 February 2017

Guest Blogging ~ Haley Walsh

Being Read To: 
Audiobooks


I’m a huge fan of movies as well as a TV addict. I love watching fiction performed. And when it comes to my writing, I write cinematically, too, that is, the dialog is lively and I set the scene so that a reader can clearly see it unfold in their mind, like a movie. And who wouldn’t love to see their work turned into a film or TV show?

I write the Skyler Foxe Mysteries, a series of books with a gay protagonist who is a high school English teacher who stumbles into murders and makes it his job—along with the help of his Scooby Gang of friends who were all former hook-ups—to solve the crimes. It’s a rom-com series full of humor and heart, with Skyler getting himself into all sorts of funny shenanigans and unlikely circumstances (I mean, come on! If you found a dead body, is the first thing on your mind, “I think I can solve this crime!” or is it “Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Call 911!”)

Since Logo isn’t pounding down the door trying to get to produce the series for television, the next best thing is an audiobook.

Now, I was lucky enough to land one of the suddenly most popular narrators around, the versatile and now award-winning Joel Leslie. And quite frankly, if you’ve enjoyed his work, you have me to thank because it was the Skyler Foxe series that gave him his first narrating job.

I love audiobooks! I loved listening to them long before I ventured into the game myself and now I really love them. There is nothing quite like hearing your own words performed so touchingly or with the humor you wrote on the page. In fact, I’m so invested now, I even write my characters hearing Joel’s voice in my head. That’s a huge compliment, by the way.

I have readers who are now confirmed listeners. They will only listen to the audiobook. Hey, who doesn’t like a book read to you? It looks like more and more people are indeed listening to audiobooks. According to a survey conducted by the Audio Publishers Association, there is a rise in the number of audiobooks published every year (35,713, in 2014, nearly double of the previous year’s total of 16,039) and a huge rise in listeners. And since now that they aren’t those bulky packages of CDs and can be uploaded to your phone, it’s easy to take them everywhere with you: shopping, exercising, commuting, or just cleaning the house. God, did that sound like a commercial or what?

My latest Skyler Foxe Mystery, CRAZY LIKE A FOXE, was just released last month and funnily enough, I’d love to offer one for free to the readers of this blog. If you’d like to know more about the series (and see an interview and a video of Joel narrating one of my books—it’s hilarious, by the way) click on over the SkylerFoxeMysteries.com. There’s a contest going on right now and the winner gets their own name in the book as a character in the next Skyler Foxe Mystery, STONE COLD FOXE.

In CRAZY LIKE A FOXE: High school English teacher Skyler Foxe swears he’s done being an amateur sleuth. Instead, he’d rather concentrate on his career as a teacher and on his hot boyfriend and head football coach Keith Fletcher, who is busy with football practice and an interesting new player that puts Keith in the spotlight for a change. But Skyler encounters a few homegrown surprises of his own, not the least of which is the unwelcome appearance of one of Keith’s old flames. What does HE want? And then Skyler is confronted with two shocking bits of news in his own backyard that makes him rethink his own future plans, whatever those are. But all that gets put aside when a murder occurs in plain sight at an outdoor concert. Skyler, his Scooby Gang, and even Keith join in to investigate a murder that’s far too close to home.

GIVE AWAY
Haley Walsh is giving away one copy of the audiobook. To have a chance of winning, leave your name and address so Haley has a way of getting in touch with you.

AUTHOR BIO: With a long history in the arts in Los Angeles, Haley Walsh spent a good part of her early years involved in the theatre and as a freelance graphic designer. Later, she turned a long-time hobby of writing novels into a career and lives a double life as a medieval mystery author under another name Jeri Westerson while living the other half as Haley Walsh, writing about her gay amateur sleuth, high school English teacher Skyler Foxe. Skyler Foxe Mysteries

FIND HALEY HERE

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I got into audiobooks in the past year and really enjoy them. Recently listened to one by Joel Leslie - he's an awesome narrator. He did a lot of different voices and it really added to the story. So, thanks for giving him his first narration job. :-)

    jen(dot)f(at)mac(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love these audiobooks! Listened to all of them back to back this summer and can't wait to listen to this one :D

    sxswann(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the blog. I also love audio books. It's better listening to an audio book, than watching tv. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I'll be picking a winner a week after this went live to give people a chance to enter.

    ReplyDelete