Thursday 15 March 2012

Q & A with A.T. Weaver.


How long have you been writing?

I started writing in the fall of 2003 when I was 60 years old.

How do you choose which genre and flavour your story line will take, and what influences your choice?

That’s hard to answer. So far, I’ve only written about gay men. My first two books were very tame sexwise. The gay men I know told me I needed to stop writing like a straight grandmother and more like a gay man.
The last story is somewhat different in that it deals with Paganism, reincarnation and historical fact. I’m not sure where it even came from.

What is your specific writing style, if any?

I have a tendency to write in sections. I’ll write one scene and then think of something that is going to happen later and write that scene then tie the various sections together.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about bringing a story to life?

Naming the characters and deciding on a title. I tend to name everyone with the same first initial.

Who is your favourite character you‘ve written to date and why?

I think that would have to be Andrew in my first book. I based his personality on a couple of guys whom I’ve never met but who were part of the group that got me into writing in the first place. When Alex meets him, Andrew is an ornery teenager who teases him unmercifully. Alex nicknames him Imp for his personality and for the tattoo on his shoulder.
Although, Danny in the book I’m working on is fast becoming a favourite.

Which character in your body of works was the hardest to write?

I think Carol, Alex’s wife in Acceptance. I know the sex scene between the two of them was the hardest.

Which stories have you enjoyed working on the most and why?

I think First Impressions. Because of the research into the geography of California I had to do.

What will people come away with after reading your books?

I hope they’ll understand that gay people are just people. Like straight people, they want to love and be loved. Contrary to a lot of stereotypical beliefs, they can form lasting loving relationships.

What are you currently reading?

A book of short stories about gay men by a composer named George Robb. He’s a member of the Heartland Men’s Chorus of Kansas City. The book is called Why Not.

I’ve also been following the adventures of Tal and Alex in A. M. Burns Yellow Sky series.

 What music is in your stereo at the moment? And does it influence the way you write?

I don’t listen to much music – I like it quiet.

When I do, it’s usually Matt Alber or something old by Neil Diamond or John Denver.

Are you still as passionate about writing as you were when you first started?

Probably even more so. When I started, I never expected to write more than one book.

Name three Authors you read over and over again?

Nora Roberts
Jude Deveraux
Anne McCaffery

Can you share any of your current WIPS?

Right now I’m working on an untitled work about a high-school senior who comes out by breaking the nose of a soccer teammate. Shortly after graduation, he goes to Pride and meets the man of his dreams.

For those readers that have yet to know you please tell us something about yourself.

I’m a mother of four, grandmother of ten, and great-grandmother of one (so far). I live alone with my cat, Cleo, in an apartment building for the elderly. I don’t feel I’m elderly, but the Government says I am. I was married for twenty-three years and have been divorced for twenty-seven.
I attend church at Spirit of Hope Metropolitan Church of Kansas City where I am one of a handful of straight people.
I sing, play the autoharp and love to read. I spin wool into yarn and like to weave. Although since taking up writing, the spinning and weaving have been pushed aside.

Find A.T. Weaver at:

EMAIL: alixtheweaver@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment