Wednesday 13 July 2011

Weekly Read


Timing: By Mary Calmes

Timing, is one of those books that is in my constant re-read pile. I had a hard time choosing just which of Ms Calmes books I was going to write about, as I have loved everything of hers that I have ever read:

The Warder series.
Change of Heart series.
A Matter of Time series.
Romunus.
The Guardian.

Ms Calmes has a wonderful way of drawing me into her stories through the fantastic characters and scenery that she creates.  Her characterisation is different; it makes everything seem new again.  In this particular book, I love the way her two main characters interact.  Because to me, it just seems like it could happen in any normal family.

I loved the fact that it wasn’t instant love at first sight.  Ms Calmes did give us that for all of two seconds before it all went to hell in a hand basket and set Stefan and Rand off on their love/hate story that made this book a thing of beauty for me.

Not only did Ms. Calmes do a fantastic job of telling this strange but compelling love story; I loved how she had two other background stories that helped the story along:  Love story with Rand, Stef’s job with Knox, and the wedding of his best friend Charlotte.  Three completely different stories woven together to turn Ms Calmes work into wonderful story.

This is a book that I do not hesitate in saying if you haven’t read this yet then do so.  It has a bit of everything; laughter, tears, angst and a whole lot of WHOA! 

I have this book in both print, and ebook, so I am never without it.  Timing for me is a feel good book; meaning that no matter how bad it gets - things can only get better.  Also the very thing you are looking at could be standing right in front of you - all you have to do is open up your eyes and look.
  

Thank-you Ms Calmes, for allowing me into your worlds for just a moment in time; and thankfully I can revisit them whenever I want.


The cover was done by: Anne Cain


I will end with my favourite lines:


“What are you still Doing here, Stef?”

I stopped walking, froze where I was, looking at her like I was seeing her for the first time. “Shit, what am I doing here?”

“Stalling.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re scared,” she said.  “It’s okay to be scared but you gotta dive into the deep end sometime and trust that you’re not gonna drown.”

“I love him.”

“I know,” she nodded, “he’s the only one you’ve cared enough about to fight with.  That’s how I knew, that’s how I always knew.”


1 comment:

  1. This is not so much a re-read for me as a re-listen. I have it in audio and I listen to it all the time. The other one I re-listen to is "Change of Heart". I love that story. And "The Guardian". She is one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete