Wednesday 18 May 2011

Weekly Read

My weekly Read this week is a story that makes me believe that not everything out there in the world is bad.


The book I have chosen this week as my read for the week is Soldier... By: AKM Miles.
Seriously, if you haven’t read this book then you are missing out.  I had heard everyone talking about one of the character from this book and thought to myself WTF!!!  Could a book possibly be that good?  Well I am here to tel you that yes... yes it can be that good...
Soldier is a very moving and very powerful book.  It is the type of book that makes you want to go out and do your bit for mankind.  To me, Soldier and Dillon are the perfect example of what a power couple should be...  They put aside their own needs to help the wonderful boys that passed through their home...  That right there shows that love is love no matter where it is or what it looks like.
AKM Miles wrote this story beautifully, and I can see why so many people talk about it.  The one person everyone loves in the story is Gom.  I can pretty much guarantee that everyone outside the story loves him too.  Gom’s story just sucks you right in, by grabbing a hold of your heartstrings and not letting go... by the end of the first page you will be reaching out your arms to hold him just as tight.
I loved the way that AKM Miles has shown that as Gom grew through the books in the A Scarcity Sanctuary Series... (Soldier, Tommy’s Story, & For Gom’s Sake, or Undercover Agent which is a YA version of For Gom’s Sake), so did his capacity to love, others around him.  Gom is just one of those people that you wish that you could just be a little bit more like them.
Soldier and Dillon are the strength that each boy needs to heal and get their lives back on track.  With their love each child comes out a better person as they grow and leave the family.
Family does not have to mean: mum, dad and 2.5 kids, it doesn’t even have to mean white picket fences and happily ever after.  Family means I am there for you... no matter what.  I will stand by your side when you need me.  I will pick you up and dust you off, each and every time you fall.  And in Soldier that is exactly what Soldier and Dillon do for these boys.  They show that no matter what anyone else says, these boys are worth it.

My favourite lines in this book are:

“Don’t,” Soldier said.
“What?”  Dillon asked, just as eloquently.
“Don’t go thinking I am somebody special.  I’m not.”
“Yeah, you’re sitting in the dark holding a troubled child while he gets his first real sleep in weeks, I think.”  Yeah Soldier was special alright.  “And you’re keeping me warm, and you don’t think you’re special.  Why?”


1 comment:

  1. Wow. Beautiful ending to a hard day. Today was Mom's funeral. It was very nice and lots of friends were there for me. But I'm sad. I come home to find beautiful words about my favorite work. Thanks so much. It means the world to me right now. AKM

    ReplyDelete